Many individuals file their initial application for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits without the assistance of a New York SSDI attorney. The Social Security Administration (SSA) does not require individuals to hire an attorney to represent them as they seek SSDI benefits. However, you may want to consult with an attorney before filing your SSDI application. Enlisting the assistance of a New York social security disability claims lawyer can help you avoid mistakes and errors that can result in a denial of your disability application or cause unnecessary delays in receiving benefits.
It is important to remember that you have the right to hire a New York SSDI attorney even after you file your Social Security disability application. At any time during the process, you have the right to obtain legal counsel regarding your disability application.
What are the Advantages of Hiring an SSDI Attorney?
- When determining whether you need an SSDI attorney to help you with your disability application, you may want to consider these benefits of hiring an attorney.
- A qualified, experienced SSDI attorney can help you evaluate the strength of your disability application. The attorney can also identify any weaknesses and advise you how to address those issues to avoid potential problems with your application or disability benefits.
- An attorney understands the documentation necessary to substantiate your disability claim. Submitting all required documentation with your initial application can avoid unnecessary delays and inquiries.
- If the SSA denies your claim, your attorney can file an immediate appeal of the denial to avoid missing the deadlines for appeals. There are four levels of appeal when your SSDI application is denied.
- When you file an appeal, you may be required to attend a hearing. Having an attorney to guide you through the process, appear with you at the hearing, and arrange for witnesses to testify on your behalf can improve your chance of receiving SSDI benefits.
- A New York SSDI attorney understands the pre-determined list of impairments that typically qualify for Social Security disability benefits. An attorney also understands the definition of “disabled” that the SSA uses for SSDI applications.
- Hiring an attorney to prepare your SSDI application can help you avoid denials based on technical reasons and clerical errors.
- The legal fees paid to an SSDI attorney are typically based on a contingency fee. If the attorney does not obtain disability benefits for you, you do not owe the lawyer any attorney fees.
Furthermore, attorney fees for Social Security disability attorneys are limited by the SSA to 25% of the back pay due from the SSA.
Maybe the best reason to hire an attorney to help you with your Social Security disability application is the peace of mind you have that your case is being handled by an experienced, trusted legal advocate. An attorney deals with the government while you focus on your health and your family.
Contact a New York SSDI Attorney for a Free Case Review
Hiring a New York SSDI attorney can help you receive the disability benefits you need, and you are entitled to receive. Contact our New York SSDI lawyers today to discuss your case and see how we can help you get the benefits you are entitled to receive. You can get the legal advice you need so that you do not have to face the Social Security Administration alone.